Thursday, May 19, 2011

Marcos Michael > www.puropedo.com

Marcos Michel, Owner & Founder, Puropedo No Worries Wear.


What do you need to be an entrepreneur?
In order to be an entrepreneur you need initiative and creativity. You also need solid work ethics and attainable goals. You have to have a dream and be willing to make all of the sacrifices to make it a reality.


What did inspire you to start your business?
I was inspired by surfing brands such as Billabong and Quicksilver. I was intrigued by how these brands were creating a lifestyle. Being Latino, I then noticed that there was very little representation in the action sports apparel market. I want to be part of a forefront movement for Latino inspired lifestyle brands.


How did you finance it?
The business was financed through personal savings accounts and home equity loans. We are in the process of looking for investors.


Being Hispanic…Does it have any influence on your business?
Very much, with a name like Puropedo No Worries Wear, it is obvious. Don’t you think?


In the face of adversity, how do you decide to keep going?
You have to have a vision and a plan. There will always be set backs, in any business. You must use those setbacks as lessons to learn from and always keep moving forward.


What is the biggest challenge your business has faced?
One of the biggest challenges has been funding. On limited funds, it is very difficult to sponsor team riders, pay for advertising and expand the line. Even with these obstacles, the company is moving forward.


If you could change one thing about your business, what would it
be?
If I could change one thing about the business, it would be our bank account. With limited resources, it has been difficult to execute our plan of World domination.


What was your childhood ambition?
My childhood ambition was to be successful in life and to put my stamp on this world. With the business, I will be able to do both. Since I was a child, I have always wanted to be able to travel and see different parts of the world. With the success of the business, these ambitions will be fulfilled.


Tell us about three entrepreneurs that you admire?
I admire Daymond John, founder of FUBU Clothing Company. He has built a multimillion-dollar empire with a goal and vision very much like my own.

I also have high respects for Ralph Rubio, founder of Rubio’s Fish Tacos. He saw a need for fish tacos on this side of the border.

Last but not least, is Jimmy Buffett, the musician/entrepreneur.


For business meetings: breakfast, lunch, or dinner?
Definitely lunch because I am most energetic and focused. However, this is just me. I am sure breakfast and dinner works best for other people.


What sacrifices on your personal life did you have to make in order to become a business success?
I had to say no to vacations to save money. I also had to stay away from toys such as motorcycles and cars, which I like a lot. I have also had to decline and limit my time hanging out with family and friends because I was working on the business.


What is your favorite quote?
“Give me a fish, I eat today. Show me how to fish, I eat everyday”


Is it difficult to be unconventional?
Not for me. I feel it comes natural to me. One should be able to recognize it and at the same time, see at as an asset instead of a downfall. I feel it allows you to stand out from the rest and make a statement that is noticed.


Biggest mistake made?
Not starting the business earlier in time.


Do you consider yourself an innovator? Why?
Yes, at a certain level. Although my product is not mechanical, our concept as a clothing company is.


About the Company
Marcos Michel is president of Puropedo No Worries Wear (http://www.puropedo.com/), an action sports apparel brand. Marcos developed the No Worries brand with two of his brothers, Gabriel and Henry. Puropedo was established in 1995. The brand is a bold group of individuals who respect humanity, value family, and lead active, healthy lifestyles. Years ago, we realized that there is very little Latino representation in apparel Industry. Puropedo is quickly changing this... Puropedo emerged as a lifestyle brand with a simple message: No Worries. Puropedo is loosely translated as "no worries" or boldly stated "B.S.". So cut the BS, jump on board and promote the lifestyle....No worries.


For the three brothers, all schoolteachers by trade, the hope was for the brand to become the Hispanic voice in the surf and skate industry. Marcos Michael received his M.A degree from United States International University in 1994. He received his B.A degree in Visual Arts from UCSD in 1990. Mr. Michel has been a schoolteacher at the elementary and middle school levels for 18 years.

1 comment:

Jose Huitron said...

"In order to be an entrepreneur you need initiative and creativity."

Well said! Creativity and drive are important elements that together form a unique dynamic.

Entradas populares

New York Time

Copyright 2017 ©
Netvision SA and PlanetM
New York, New York, USA 10008
You can copy this content without permission but you must notify us via email.
Otherwise, it is illegal. All rights reserved worldwide
Updated by Carlos Vassallo

Page Views Last Month